• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

quickest exercise to build triceps and latissimus (the V)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRPPNASS_DSCOMONKE

Bluelighter
so summer is almost here and i plan to have my shirt off as much as possible:\, so i want to tweak certain parts of my upper body. i want to bring out my triceps, the latissimus (that is the one that gives you the V cut under your arms when you flex right?) and maybe external obliques. im more concerned about the first two though. what is the quickest exercise that will build most noticeably the first two?

thanks for input :D

Lat Pulldown

Lat pulldowns would definitely be the most effective to build your lats in my opinion.
It's a great exercise in all three forms..
Behind the head.. On top of the shoulder blades..
Or in front.. About a half inch from your chest.. not to hit your chest (imo) to better control movement.

Or.. switched up.. with your hands not far apart.. in reverse position actual.. so your knuckles are facing you.. and once again.. not far from the chest.. controled movements.. but this exercise is going to work your biceps.. way more then your lats.. so probably not ideal for what your aiming for?

As far as tricep.. I would definitely recommend the VBar.. Bring it up to about chest level.. and then extended fully down.. in very controled movements..

I guarantee results with these exercises in the areas your looking for. Pretty basic stuff, but zones right in on those areas..lol.. it's what there designed to do.

- Retrospect

no, you're wrong.

lat pulldown and pressdowns are far inferior to weighted pullups and OH presses

my post was /thread you should have just agreed with me man ;)

^^^Why do you keep on getting banned?

For lats: pull-ups, overhead presses, and side-laterals (if you do it in a certain way you can focus on lats). Personally, I don't even do pull-downs, but sometimes I do straight arm press-down, which can be quite challenging.

Triceps: ez-bar french press super-setted with a close-grip bench press.

handstand pushups.

these combine the OH press, and work the Lats as well.

if you can do them, do 5-10 (3-5 reps a day)

another thing i find good for Lats and Obliques, rotate from the hips with 25-40lbs 10 times (4-6 reps a day)

no, you're wrong.

Inferior in what sense? Weighted pullups will build functional strength and work alot of muscles. But a pulldown would isolate the lats from the weakest link muscles.

^^^Why do you keep on getting banned?

For lats: pull-ups, overhead presses, and side-laterals (if you do it in a certain way you can focus on lats). Personally, I don't even do pull-downs, but sometimes I do straight arm press-down, which can be quite challenging.

Triceps: ez-bar french press super-setted with a close-grip bench press.

To be honest, I have no idea how I overlooked pull-ups..lol. It must of been the smoke I guess.. but yea, pull-ups is definitely one of the most (if not the most?) effective way to tone your lats.

Inferior in what sense? Weighted pullups will build functional strength and work alot of muscles. But a pulldown would isolate the lats from the weakest link muscles.

Yea, agreed.. but still regular pullups would tone that area up real good.

I mean, I'm only about 5'9.. 147 lbs.. but i'm very solid & toned.. My major area I lack is my legs.. But it works out all the same, because I am happy w/ where my body is at. I haven't even lifted in over a year.. been too busy w/ work and what not. Starting to get back into it now. Pullups do me very well, I can do a bunch usually.. but when I really slow it down.. it feels really good and I gain alot from them. I can't see the weight being a very good idea, because I can see where that would focus on more areas.

.. & to the post after my first response. Everyone has different opinions and different ways of doing things. No one has actually given a bad response I don't think?.. I don't agree w/ the weights, but thats just me. I'm sure for some people they are a huge benefit.

- Retrospect

no, you're wrong.

Lol, yep, what you said were the best SINGLE exercises.

But if the OP wants to fill out that T-shirt in all the right places, he'll have to do a bunch of different exercises, each hitting those muscles from a different angle.

if you do 5x5 weighted pullups (sets across not a wave) then tell me if you can do anything remotely worthwhile for the same target group. If you can hammer out a few sets of lat pulldowns after then you didn't put enough weight hanging off you for the pullups.

5x5 weighted pullups should leave your back, lats and shoulders torched. Feed and sleep are what you need after that.

Retrospect, muscle tone has nothing to do with the conversation. Muscle tone is how much the muscle is contracting at 'rest'. I believe the OP is interested in muscular hypertrophy.

Apparently we have a different philosophy on hypertrophy.

Don't get me wrong. Obviously, 5x5 with weighted pull ups will build massive, powerful lats. But I've always had better size gains with high volume work-outs, done frequently (ie, same body part every 3 days). I know that "intensity" is in vogue, but I've just always done better with the old-school volume programs.

I bet you would disagree with this approach, but here's what I would do for a muscular back and triceps.

Back:
1. Pull-downs 4x (15, 12, 12, 10)
2. Horizontal Rows (machine, barbell, t-bar, or whatever) 4x (15, 12, 12, 10)
3. Upright Rows 4x (15, 12, 12, 10)

Triceps:
1. Overhead extensions (not presses) 3x 12
2. V-bar push downs 3x12
3. Skull crushers 3x12
With supersetting as experience develops.

you're right I disagree. But, I'm not terribly concerned with hypertrophy. I'm trying to get stronger. Maybe thats where our goals differ?

Here's what I would do for your workout instead

OH press 5x5
Front Raise 3x8
Pullups (weighted) 5x5
Rack Pulls 5x5

My triceps would be toasted from the presses, my front delts would be finished off with the raises, my back and lats would be knocked out by the pullups, and then the rack pulls would finish off the back and hit the traps.

I would go home, eat 70g protein and some carbs and rest. In a few hours I would eat 50g more of protein some carbs and a lot of yummy fat and then sleep for 10 hours.

yes, but it is hard for me to buy the food to get that much protein i believe. i am pretty broke ATM.

i highly appreciate all the input, ill probably just mix it up and see what works best.

and to clarify, i am interested in definition. just to look a bit more ripped and not so much like the 6' 135lb stick that i am, lol.

All the exercises given here are good. Outcome differences in choosing one over the other will not be noticeable. I agree that you should actually hit the same muscle group with slightly different exercises and grips to get the best results. Just try them out, group them together in an intelligent way (adequate recovery periods), and drive forward. If you love pulldowns, do those; if you love weighted pullups, do those. If you want to do pulldowns one day, and on the next active day for your back, weighted pullups, then do that. There really isn't any hard and fast rule here.

In terms of overall visual impact, you're going to want to work your other muscle groups too though. That means some pec work (plenty of secondary tricep action in most of those exercises), delts (ditto), biceps, etc.

Including bench presses, dips, etc. on days you work your triceps will pre-exhaust your triceps prior to the exercises where you isolate your triceps, which may further enhance your gains. Ditto for perhaps using a row machine for some cardio work on your back days.

Status
Not open for further replies.